Desi wadi recipe – Desi wadi recipe sun dried lentil dumplings
Preparing The Desi Wadis
- Soak the fresh chickpeas in water for 2-3 hours.
- Also soak the mung dal or urad dal for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the chickpeas and grind it with very little water or no water to a smooth paste.
- Also grind the mung dal or urad dal with very little water or no water to a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl mix together both the chickpea paste and the mung dal or urad dal paste.
- Add all the spices and salt and mix well
- Take a large thali or food safe plastic sheet.
- Keep the thali on a mat in the sun.
- Drop spoonful of the the wadi mixture on the thali or plastic.
- You can shape them in small circles with the back of the spoon.
- Dry them in the sun for 2-3 days till they become hard.
- When one side is dried, then turn the wadis and dry the other side.
- You will have to turn these wadis a couple of times to ensure even drying.
- When done, store all the Desi wadis in an air tight container.
Adding The Desi wadi To Any Dish:
- Rinse the vadis in water.
- Then add them to any veggie or rice based dish.
- Let them cook for 4-5 minutes.
- The vadis will become soft when cooked.
To make the wadis in the oven:
1: grease an over proof tray with oil or you can line the tray with butter paper.
2: grease the butter paper with some oil.
3: with the help of a spoon drop the wadi mixture in to the tray and shape them.
4: keep some distance between the wadis.
5: now bake the wadis at lower oven temperatures say between 50 to 100 degrees c for 3 to 5 hours till they get totally dried up and change their color.
6: you will have to keep on checking in between.
7: the time and temperature will vary from oven to oven.
Desi Wadi Large
(BIG SIZE) SPICY
These Authentic Wadis infused with Jammu Spices are made with fresh green chickpeas/hara chana, moong dal or urad dal. Either use moong dal/skinned mung beans or urad dal/skinned black gram in a combination as required.